Lots of DIYers cringe at the thought of caulking, but believe me, you can caulk like a pro if you follow a few easy steps. The most important thing, is to buy a high-quality, dripless caulking gun. "Dripless" simply means that the caulk will stop oozing out the second you take your finger off the trigger. Believe me it's worth the extra $$$, I know from experience!
Ready for some tips?
- Always use paintable caulk...at least I always do!
- Cut the nozzle off at the size appropriate for the caulk bead
- Avoid stops and starts. Lay a bead for as long as you can reach comfortably.
- Gently smooth the bead with a wet fingertip. [Keep a small bowl a water by your side]
- Always cap the tube when not in use to keep the caulk workable [I put a brad nail in the head of my caulk]
- Touch it up with paint if necessary.
Follow these tips faithfully and you'll be caulking like a pro in no time rather than cursing like a sailor!
And believe me knowing how to caulk will save you in the long run! I just had to put my skills to use this weekend when I was fed up of looking at the cracks going up the stairs. I HATE cracks! I mean our house is new and even though I know the cracks are because the house is settling - it looks BAD! But all it took was a little patience and a lot of paper towels :-)