As I discussed here, we started with removing all pictures, curtains, etc. and prepped the walls for paint by using compound to cover any holes and imperfections and gave them a good sanding. We then taped the entire room using FrogTape, which I am in LOVE with! We've always used the standard blue painter's tape and never ended up with crisp, clean lines...but we did this time using good ol' FrogTape!
The other thing we did differently when painting these rooms...we painted the first coat with 2" brushes. Now I know you think we're crazy, but once we did all the trim work all we had to do was fill inside the lines....much like coloring a picture. I can say this did help with coverage and we saved a ton on paint. We purchased five gallons of paint and only used about a quarter of the bucket.
Once the first coat was on my husband started giving me crap about the color and how "blue" it was, but I knew that would change or Sherwin Williams would owe me a refund! After the second coat the "gray" finally came through and looked amazing!
I can't wait to change out some of our decor and add floor to ceiling curtains, which will only add to the height of our ceilings and windows. We plan to DIY some stripped curtains like Jennifer's over at Blissfuly Ever After...I'm super excited for it all to come together!