A week ago I got sick of our temporary gate that we keep at the bottom of our stairs for our cocker spaniel (similar one here). We wanted a gate there to keep her from going into our daughters room and finding those tiny Barbie shoes and what-not and chewing them to pieces. We are nervous that one day she just might swallow one of those bad boys.
Every time that I go upstairs, I have to climb over it because I don't feel like removing it and latching it back. It has become an Olympic sport, climbing over that gate with a basket full of laundry and not falling over it and breaking my neck.
So, we took a trip to Lowe's and purchased some wood to get started. But when we came home, I decided to clean out the attic and realized that I had this bench that I wanted to get rid of. Well duh...I could use the wood from our bench and save a few bucks on materials!
G took some measurements and he gave me the nod that means my bright idea would work.
We removed the top of the bench and used the remaining parts to construct our gate.
Parts (1 & 4) were used for the main pieces to the gate and parts (2 & 3) closed the gaps to each side of the gate. We cut parts (2 & 3) in half to use on both sides of the main pieces as you will see below.
We screwed the pieces together using 3" screws and filled with wood glue. Once the gate was constructed, we gave it a good sanding and primed and painted it using Rust-Oleum's gloss white spray paint.
We fastened the two main parts of the gate with simple hinges that we also spray painted using Rust-Oleum's flat black paint, which gave the hardware a nice matte finish. The remaining hinges were fastened into the wall (in a stud of course) and to the front side of the gate.
Pretty simple and it serves it's purpose. Here's Bella below hanging out by the gate...just waiting for someone to leave it open so she can get to those Barbie shoes, lol!